Back to Legal Case Studies

Holidaymaker Catches Fire at Madeira Resort

31 May 2016

A holidaymaker was awarded a five-figure settlement following injuries sustained when she caught fire at a hotel restaurant in Madeira.

Slater and Gordon Lawyer: Darren Dyke is a personal injury lawyer at Slater and Gordon Lawyers specialising in travel law.

Settlement: £15,500

What Happened: Our client was on holiday at the Hotel Porto Santa Maria in Funchal, Madeira when she attended the buffet in the hotel restaurant.

The hot food was kept in stainless steel warmers and when she lifted one of the lids her dress caught fire from a naked flame lamp underneath the warmer.

Another holiday maker used his hands to scrunch the material when it appeared the flames would reach to our client’s face.

Impact: As a result, she suffered burns covering her stomach area, leaving her scarred for life. For two weeks following the accident, she needed help to bathe and dress, and for two months required assistance with everyday household tasks.

How Slater and Gordon Helped: We brought a claim on behalf of the client, and arranged for medical examinations and evidence. A Part 36 offer was made to the defendant to settle the claim.

Decision: A settlement of £15,500.

Related Practice Areas:

Travel law

Road traffic accidents abroad

Accidents abroad claims

If you have any questions about the above case study or would like to speak with a travel litigation lawyer, call us for a free consultation on 0800 916 9046 or contact us online. From outside the UK please call +44161 830 4446.