Holidaymaker Suffers Asthma Attacks Due to Chlorine Leak
17 February 2016
Damages awarded for holidaymaker who suffered breathing difficulties and asthma attacks as the result of a chlorine leak through hotel air duct.
Slater and Gordon Lawyer: Sharon Rowles is a personal injury litigation executive who specialises in travel related claims.
What Happened: During the course of a stay at the Grand Minerva Hotel in Italy, on 23rd February 2013, our client was having lunch in the hotel restaurant.
There was an air duct approximately five - 10 feet away and she noticed a strong odour of bleach. Her eyes began to sting and she then experienced coughing. She then noticed that there was a form of gas circulating above her which was coming from the air duct.
Impact: The gas transpired to be chlorine and this was confirmed by the hotel receptionist who confirmed that this occurred as a result of an accidental spillage caused by workmen within the building.
Our client is an asthmatic and, therefore, the chlorine inhaled into her lungs caused her to become severely unwell. She suffered ongoing asthma attacks and breathing problems.
How Slater and Gordon Helped: The accommodation was provided by Hotelbeds UK Limited who are part of the TUI Group.
We assisted the client by bringing a claim for her against TUI UK Limited who failed in their duty to provide accommodation which would ensure the reasonable safety of our client.
Decision: Successful settlement of £2,750. Our client was very pleased with the outcome.
Related Practice Areas:
If you have any questions about the above case study or would like to speak with a travel litigation lawyer, call us for a free consultation on 0800 916 9046 or contact us online. From outside the UK please call +44161 830 4446.
Related Case Studies
Tuesday 9th October 2018
Wednesday 3rd January 2018
Thursday 14th December 2017