Back to Press Releases

0 stars Article rating

Widow’s Appeal over Husband’s Death after Living in Flat with Asbestos

Widow’s Appeal over Husband’s Death after Living in Flat with Asbestos

A widow who lost her husband to asbestos-related cancer claims the council flat they shared was ‘riddled’ with the deadly dust. 

Lay preacher Frederick Lugay, 73, died after collapsing during one of his sermons, almost a year to the day that he was diagnosed with incurable mesothelioma on his lungs.

Widow Adassa Robinson Lugay says the father-of-two and grandad-of-two had never smoked – but spent more than 40 years living in the same high-rise flat which was in a state of ‘disrepair.’

She says the block – Barton House on Wandsworth Bridge Road, Fulham – was ‘riddled with asbestos,’ including in the paint on the walls of the flats and the tiles on the floor.

Mrs Robinson Lugay, 64, has now instructed law firm Slater and Gordon to help in her fight to find out where the former Routemaster bus conductor and caretaker came into contact with asbestos.

They are keen to speak to anyone who lived in the same flats or nearby Coomber House which has since been demolished, both owned and run by Hammersmith and Fulham Council.

Mrs Robinson Lugay moved into Barton House with Frederick in 2003 and still lives at the property which was renovated to remove asbestos several years ago.

She said: “I believe Barton House had substantial amounts of asbestos materials used within the building but at the time we didn’t know of any dangers.

“He was so sick and when I found out that his cancer was caused by asbestos I was so upset.

“Of course now I worry that the same thing could happen to me.”

Mr Lugay, who preached at Hackney Pentecostal Church, started a course of chemotherapy but quit after the second session when he suffered severe side effects.

He died in Homerton University Hospital in London on June 19, 2012.

Industrial disease specialist Lesley Francois, from Slater and Gordon, said: “Evidence suggests that Frederick Lugay spent decades in his own home, where he should have been safe, breathing in the toxic fibres which eventually led to his death.

“We would like to speak to anyone who lived there and has similar stories which we believe could be vital in helping his family get the answers they deserve.”

Anyone with information should contact Lesley Francois on 0207 0922825 or email

Slater and Gordon Lawyers are one of the largest law firms in the UK. We have over 1,450 staff and offices in London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield, Milton Keynes, Bristol, Cardiff, Halifax, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Derby, Wakefield, Merseyside and meeting rooms in Hull and in Bramhall, Cheshire.

Take a second to rate this article

Rate an article

Thank you!