Back to Legal Industry News

Carbon monoxide poisoning leads to compensation payout

Carbon monoxide poisoning leads to compensation payout
A case of carbon monoxide poisoning has resulted in a family being awarded compensation.

British Gas, which had examined the faulty boiler responsible for the leak seven months prior to the incident and had declared it satisfactory, accepted partial liability.

Recently, the Hart family were awarded a payout of £35,000 for their suffering, the Manchester Evening News reports.

In March 2004, the parents had been woken up by five-year-old daughter Natasha, who complained of feeling unwell.

Soon, the rest of the family were vomiting and fainting at their home in Hale.

Fearing that they were suffering from meningitis, the father, Jeremy Hart, rang 999.

When paramedics arrived, they were diagnosed as suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, which reduces the blood's ability to carry oxygen and can lead to death.

They were given oxygen and then transferred to Wythenshawe Hospital.

Mr Hart commented: "If the timing had been different we could all have died."