16 June 2008
Employee burns result in company fine
Burns sustained by a worker have led to a company being issued a fine, it has been revealed.
The incident occurred in October 2007 when 50-year-old employee Naran Hirani was using acetone - a flammable liquid which is commonly used as a solvent - to clean debris and oil from transformers.
During his activities, a fire occurred, causing him to suffer burns to his hands and legs.
An investigation conducted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) subsequently discovered that acetone was being used without any attention being paid to the risk of fire.
As a result of the accident, Mr Hirani's employer Parmeko was ordered to pay £10,000 plus £1,910 in costs during a hearing at Leicester magistrates' court.
"This incident could have been avoided if Parmeko had put a safe system of working in place to help protect employees when handling this sort of highly flammable and toxic substance," stated HSE inspector Munera Sidat.