Back to Legal Industry News

Lab workers awarded £1.1m compensation after inhaling chemicals

Lab workers awarded £1.1m compensation after inhaling chemicals
Two laboratory technicians have been awarded a total of £1.1 million after inhaling noxious fumes.

Anne Connelly, 50, of County Westmeath and Patricia Egan, 49, of County Offaly were employed at Athlone Institute of Technology when they were exposed to the fumes.

As a result, Ms Connelly suffered inflammation of her respiratory tracts, lungs, nose and throat that meant she now has to use inhalers three or four times a week.

Meanwhile, Ms Egan, also suffered respiratory damage, from which she has since made a partial recovery, and claimed to have become depressed as a result of her illness.

Mr Justice Paul Gilligan awarded £540,000 to Ms Connelly and £500,000 to Ms Egan for loss of earnings, pension losses and general damages.

The women were exposed to the noxious chemicals when fumes seeped into the laboratory through an air conditioning system.