Back to Blog

0 stars Article rating

Can I Claim for an Overseas Road Accident in the UK?

Holidaymakers and travellers involved in a road traffic accident overseas are often unaware that they can make a claim once they are back home in the UK, but they can.

When what should have been a happy holiday turns into a traumatic experience, people would expect answers and compensation for the accident. But making a legal claim for an overseas accident is not just about compensation.

The case of the Welsh coach party that was involved in a road traffic accident in Switzerland as they returned home to south Wales from Italy would be a traumatic and stressful – not to mention unforeseen – time for both those involved and their family and friends back home. The press have reported that 41 people have been injured, including four people seriously injured.

A road traffic accident abroad claim is often a matter of rehabilitation, ensuring that you get the rehabilitation and support you need to ensure the best possible recovery. In the event of a serious injury, such steps can help to receive quicker access to private medical treatment to deal with injuries as efficiently as possible, and also to relieve the financial pressures following any medical costs.

Road safety varies from country to country, as we blogged about in reference to claims for road traffic accidents in Poland. Often people are unaware that pursuing a claim for an accident outside the UK is possible back home in England and Wales, but if you are injured in an accident that wasn’t your fault whilst overseas you may be entitled to bring your claim here, in the Courts of England and Wales.

How Can You Increase Your Chances of an Overseas Road Traffic Accident Compensation Claim?

To increase your chances of an overseas road traffic accident compensation claim you should:

• try to collect as much evidence as possible, including photos of the site and damage;

• report the accident to the police;

• making a written account as soon as possible will also help in case you can’t remember later;

• collecting contact details may prove difficult if you speak a different language but, if possible, it is important to exchange details with the people involved in the accident, along with contact information of any witnesses to support your claim.

When taking the next step and seeking legal advice, it is important that you contact a specialist Travel Litigation Lawyer rather than a Personal Injury Lawyer for overseas accidents. Read more on this here.

Slater and Gordon Travel Litigation Lawyers have extensive experience in pursuing claims for people injured in an accident on holiday.

If you or a member of your family was injured in a road traffic accident overseas, Slater and Gordon No Win, No Fee Solicitors can help you with your claim for compensation. Call us on freephone 0800 916 9046, from abroad on +44 20 7657 155, or contact us online.

Take a second to rate this article

Rate an article

Thank you!