06 July 2015
Operation Crossbow Cracks Down on Crime across North West
A recent crime crackdown across North West England named Operation Crossbow has been hailed as a great success as five different forces came together during a regionwide initiative.
Officers from Cheshire Police, Greater Manchester Police, Derbyshire Police, Staffordshire Police and West Mercia Police came together to disrupt criminal activity across the region and deny criminals the use of the roads.
The operation included:
- Over 700 vehicles stopped, 60 of which were seized
- Four arrests for burglary
- Three people arrested for possession with intent to supply class A drugs
- Two men were found that were wanted on warrant
- Two disqualified drivers were arrested
- Three positive roadside drugs tests
- Two arrests on suspicion of theft
- Two arrested on suspicion of affray
- One man was arrested for possession of an offensive weapon
- And a Dutch lorry driver was fined £680 and had his vehicle seized after he was found to have been driving over the number of legal hours.
The operation was one of the largest ever undertaken by Cheshire Constabulary and involved more than 200 officers from across all five police forces.
Slater and Gordon Personal Injury Lawyer Deborah Johnson said, "It’s really important to get dangerous drivers and criminals off the roads to make them safer for everyday law abiding citizens who wish to get from A to B. This operation was an attempt to make the roads in the North West a less inviting place for criminals who do harm in the community.”
By taking criminals off the road, and therefore making roads safer for the wider public, should mean a reduction in road traffic accidents. In 2014 there were 194,477 reported casualties on Britain’s roads, which is an average of over 530 a day. Of the 194,477 there were 1,775 fatalities. All of these figures are up from 2013, so a crackdown like Operation Crossbow can only be a good thing.
Deborah Johnson is a Senior Personal Injury Solicitor at Slater and Gordon Lawyers UK and Chair of the road safety charity Brake.
Slater and Gordon’s No Win, No Fee Solicitors can help you to claim compensation if you were injured in a road traffic accident through no fault of your own. Call us for a free consultation on freephone 0800 916 9046 or contact us online and we will call you.