12 March 2014
Dunmow Dad Endangered by Asbestos during Royal Navy Service
Essex Coroner, Caroline Beasley-Murray said that Mr William Moir-Porteous of Essex, died from the industrial disease, mesothelioma which is an asbestos related lung cancer.
Sadly he died in December 2013. It was heard that Mr Moir-Porteous, a retired police officer from Great Dunmow was exposed to the deadly material as a result of his work in the Royal Navy in the 1950s.
Mr Moir-Porteous moved to the UK in 1950 and was in the Royal Navy from 1952 until 1962 during which time he was exposed to the asbestos working in the torpedo anti-submarine warfare.
Slater and Gordon Chest & Asbestos Disease Group Solicitor Alison Kerr reminds us about the dangers of asbestos and the sad consequences that exposure to this deadly material can have.
“Mesothelioma is an aggressive form of lung cancer and the only known cause is as a result of exposure to asbestos. The death of Mr Moir-Porteous is a sad reminder of the continued dangers this toxic fibre and material has caused our community.
Slater and Gordon has represented a number of service people and specifically those from the Royal Navy as well as civilian employees of the MOD who have been exposed to asbestos and developed an asbestos related condition.
The Royal Navy, was aware that asbestos was a dangerous material and that those who were exposed to it might suffer a premature death. Ex-servicemen would have been regularly exposed to asbestos as a result of the work they performed, and this exposure was often on a constant basis. Further, no protection, precautions or warnings of this deadly exposure to asbestos was provided to them.
Anyone exposed to asbestos should register any exposure as soon as possible. Slater and Gordon maintain a National Asbestos Register and we advise you to contact Dominic Smith on 0161 383 3527 to register any asbestos exposure.”
For a free consultation call Slater and Gordon Lawyers on freephone 0800 916 9046 or contact us online and we'll be happy to help you.