Rachel Adamson Principal Lawyer, Business Crime and Regulation
Rachel is a principal lawyer in our business crime and regulation team at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in Preston.
She has over 20 years' experience in the field of criminal law. The majority of that time has been spent defending individuals accused of large, complex fraud cases. These prosecutions have been brought by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS); the Serious Fraud Office (SFO); the Department for Business, Innovation and the HMRC.
The types of fraud Rachel has defended has been extensive including MTIC fraud (VAT fraud); land banking fraud; advance fee fraud; insurance fraud and many others. She also has a depth of experience in regulatory law. She has defended both individuals and businesses against actions taken against them by regulators. This has included regulators such as the Care Quality Commission (CQC); Ofsted; the Health and Safety Executive (HSE); the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA); the Environment Agency; the Trading Standards Department amongst others. She has defended both criminal and civil enforcement actions by regulators. The regulatory defence work has included very serious Health and safety cases including Corporate Manslaughter and Manslaughter by gross negligence.
Rachel regularly writes articles for trade magazines covering both areas and has been invited to speak at conferences in respect of CQC issues, Ofsted issues and many more. She is quoted in the national and local press and has been quoted in the Wall Street Journal on one occasion. Recently she has been asked to comment on corporate manslaughter issues in respect of the Grenfell fire in the national press and on Radio Five live. She has done other TV comments in the past on terrorism and cases that she has defended. Previously, she had been invited to comment as a fraud expert on ‘Judge Rinder’s Crime Stories’ and featured in series 1 and 2.
- Serious fraud
- Regulatory crime including health and safety
- Environmental, trading standards and HMRC
- Regulatory enforcement including FCA, CQC and Ofsted
- Food Standards Agency
- Higher Court Advocate (Criminal)
- Since 2017: Slater and Gordon Lawyers UK
- 2010-2017: Partner and Head of the Regulatory Department at Stephensons Solicitors
- 1995-2010: Associate Partner at Farleys Solicitors
- Studied at the University of Central Lancashire (LPC - Commendation)
- Studied at the University of Wolverhampton (LLB Hons)
- Member of the Fraud Lawyers Association
- Member of the Health and Safety Lawyers Association
- Member of the Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers
- Legal 500: "Rachel is a keen strategist" and "very knowledgeable" in her field of law and "can sniff out a poor prosecution performance from a mile away."