Paula Chan Acting Head of Practice, Employment
Paula is an employment lawyer and acting head of practice at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in London.
She advises individuals on the full range of contentious and non-contentious employment law issues and has particular expertise in workplace sex, maternity and disability discrimination.
Paula has successfully represented city bankers, solicitors, surveyors, board level executive directors, media professionals and healthcare professionals in central London and across the UK.
She has helped negotiate more favourable contractual terms and conditions, defend performance and misconduct allegations, prepare robust grievances and achieve reinstatement following dismissal for gross misconduct.
She also negotiates favourable exits on behalf of her clients without recourse to the courts while ensuring their reputation and career prospects are protected.
Paula has acted in many complex discrimination and whistleblowing claims and multi-million pound disputes at employment tribunal and before the High Court.
She always ensures her clients have a strategy for achieving their objectives from the outset, whether that involves resolving internal disputes through a grievance, negotiating and securing favourable settlements, or litigating a claim before a tribunal or court.
Paula is also a regular media commentator on employment law matters having appeared on ITV News and BBC Radio as well as publishing articles for various publications across the UK, including The Times and the Evening Standard.
- Since 2012 Slater and Gordon
- University of Strathclyde
- Member of the Employment Lawyers’ Association
- Chambers and Partners 2018 Associates to Watch: Paula is considered by her clients to be "calm, bright, resilient and a wonderful team player," with others describing her as "excellent both in terms of her legal advice and emotional support."
- Chambers and Partners 2019 Up and Coming Lawyers
- Legal 500 2019: "London group Head Paula Chan is 'a rising star and definitely one to watch with superb judgement and a keen intelligence.'"
- Chambers and Partners 2020 Up and Coming: Paula Chan regularly acts for high-level City employees in Employment Tribunal and High Court proceedings, and additionally advises on a variety of non-contentious matters. Interviewees highlight her as having "a breadth of knowledge well beyond her years of experience," and describe her as "phenomenally quick on the uptake and a very good people person."
Recent Testimonials for Paula Chan
“It has been a pleasure working with you. I am pleased with the result, given the starting point, and thank you for your help in getting me there. I would certainly use Slater and Gordon again and would be happy to recommend to others.”
Financial Services Professional
“I remain pleased with the outcome and very appreciative of your advice and support along the way. If a potential client ever wants to take up a reference I will be happy to oblige. In the nicest possible way, hope I don't see you in court!”
Senior Director of a Global Management Firm
“Paula provided reassuring expert advice and context throughout the process, which was greatly appreciated at such an uncertain time, and enabled me to make the best decisions about what was important for me. Her efficiency and negotiating skills ensured that I achieved an excellent outcome quickly.”