Kieran Mitchell Principal Lawyer and National Head of Travel Litigation
Kieran is a principal lawyer and national head of our travel litigation team at Slater and Gordon Lawyers.
He has more than a decade of experience in the field of travel and international litigation and has pursued claims in more than 30 different jurisdictions around the world.
With the evolution of European legislation, his practice has more recently focused increasingly on the application of foreign law to proceedings brought in the jurisdiction of England and Wales, in relation to claims arising from incidents overseas.
One such claim was referred for determination by the Court of Justice of the European Union.
He continues to work with a network of well-established lawyer contacts outside of the European Union, to assist clients who are unable to bring their claims before the English courts and has helped secure significant - sometimes multi-million pound - settlements for those clients.
Kieran regularly undertakes pro bono work for the homicide service arm of Victim Support, acting for the bereaved families of British citizens killed overseas and assisting them with all manner of legal issues. These include involvement in criminal proceedings, the repatriation of remains, the recovery of assets held out of jurisdiction and the recovery of criminal injuries compensation.
He has a particular interest in coronial law and regularly appears at inquests on behalf of the victims of death overseas. In 2017, Kieran represented victims and families of those killed in the 2015 terrorist attack in Sousse, Tunisia, at the inquest held before His Honour Judge Loraine-Smith, at the Royal Courts of Justice.
Kieran is a fluent French speaker.
- Cross-border litigation
- Aviation and maritime law
- Private international law
- Conflict of laws
- Since 2013 Slater and Gordon
- 2012 – 2013 Fentons Solicitors
- 2008 – 2012 Penningtons Manches LLP
- 2004 – 2008 Irwin Mitchell LLP
- College of Law, Guildford
- BPP Law School, London
- University of Northampton
Commendations from independent legal directories
- Chambers and Partners 2016: Kieran is described as "patience personified" and has "extreme empathy" towards clients.
- Chambers and Partners 2017 Ranked as an Associate to Watch: According to interviewees, he is "a bright lawyer who is very personable and wants to do a good job for his clients."
- Chambers and Partners 2018 Ranked as an Associate to Watch: Kieran is credited as a "bright, hard-working and dedicated lawyer."
- Ranked Next Generation Lawyer and Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500 2017: "Kieran is a real problem solver; he thinks on his feet, and outside the box."
- Member of the Travel and Tourism Lawyers’ Association
- Member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers
- Member of the Pan-European Organisation of Personal Injury Lawyers
- Member of the American Association of Justice
Recent Testimonials for Kieran Mitchell
“We will be ever grateful for your support and professional services unravelling the intricate web of legalities from the various countries that you have had to navigate. I really don’t know how we could have got to this point without your help.”
Mary Gill, Wakefield
“Kieran’s integrity, professionalism and expertise have been outstanding. It is sad to think that there may be others in our position, but if there are, to have someone like Kieran on their side will be to their great advantage. ”
Ms Melton, London
“Kieran was absolutely fantastic, he made me feel like mine was the only claim he was dealing with and this is an attribute that cannot be taught, it is inherent in the person and speaks volumes as to the diligence and commitment that he displayed at all times with my claim.”
Ms Van Hoorn, London