Ian Wilson Principal Lawyer, Criminal Defence
Ian Wilson is a Principal Lawyer (Partner), within our Criminal & Misconduct Department covering Bristol and the South West. He also supervises the Cardiff Criminal & Misconduct Department.
He undertakes a full range of criminal litigation and Police misconduct matters. He also represents clients at Inquests involving policing issues.
Ian has undertaken criminal litigation since qualifying in 1983 and has considerable experience of all aspects of criminal work. He joined Russell Jones & Walker, now Slater & Gordon, in 1989 to establish the Criminal & Misconduct department in Bristol. Since then he has represented individuals in a wide range of cases, including a custody sergeant being prosecuted for manslaughter in relation to a death in custody, a defendant in an OFT prosecution of an alleged £10 million pyramid scheme, representing a defendant in civil proceedings brought by the FCA and clients facing health and safety allegations.
In addition, Ian is regularly instructed by the Police Federation of England & Wales. He has represented numerous police officers over a considerable period of time in a full range of cases such as road traffic matters, assault allegations, shootings and deaths in custody.
Ian has also presented lectures on topics such as the Advocacy, Criminal Justice Act, Fraud Act, Police Misconduct Regulations and Police Appeals Tribunals.
- Criminal defence
- Police misconduct
- Criminal litigation
Commendations from independent legal directories
- Chambers & Partners 2012, comments on the "high standard of service [Ian] provides to his clients." Chambers & Partners 2011 remarks that "Peers especially value his ability to "inspire confidence in people."
Chambers & Partners 2014, ranked in Band 2 for Crime "Ian Wilson comes recommended by interviewees. He is described by sources as "very impressive, very thorough and very credible."
Chambers and Partners 2016: Ian is "hard-working, committed and vastly experienced. He goes about his work with charm, humour and goodwill."
The Legal 500: "Able to draw on a wealth of experience and knowledge", and is "capable of looking at a case from a defendant’s perspective."
- Chambers & Partners 2019: Clients and counsel both recognise his "ability to convert dense detail into something readily understandable by police officers" as well as his"encyclopaedic knowledge of police regulations."
- Chambers and Partners 2020: Ian Wilson is a partner in the firm's Cardiff office. He is particularly well regarded for his handling of criminal litigation concerning police misconduct. Sources note: ''He has the best possible inside knowledge of the police system.''
- 2012 - Slater and Gordon Lawyers UK
- 1989 - 2012 - Russell Jones and Walker