Ian Wilson Principal Lawyer, Criminal Defence
Ian is a partner and criminal defence solicitor at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in Cardiff.
He undertakes a full range of criminal litigation and police misconduct matters as well as inquests involving policing issues.
Ian has worked in criminal litigation since qualifying in 1983 and has considerable experience of all aspects of criminal work. He joined Russell Jones & Walker in 1989 to establish the Criminal & Misconduct department in Bristol. Since then he has represented individuals in a wide range of cases, including a defendant in an SFO prosecution of an alleged £10 million fraud, members of the Cornish Stannary Parliament facing allegations of criminal damage, and an army major facing an allegation of causing death by dangerous driving.
In addition, Ian is regularly instructed by the Police Federation of England & Wales, representing numerous police officers over a considerable period of time in a full range of cases from road traffic matters to shootings and deaths in custody.
Ian Wilson is ranked consistently high in the leading legal directories.
Ian has written various articles on areas as diverse as self defence, plea bargaining in fraud cases and environmental waste regulations and has lectured on topics such as Police misconduct, Criminal Justice Acts and advocacy skills.
- Criminal defence
- Police misconduct
- Criminal litigation
Commendations from independent legal directories
- Chambers & Partners 2012, comments on the "high standard of service [Ian] provides to his clients." Chambers & Partners 2011 remarks that "Peers especially value his ability to "inspire confidence in people."
Chambers & Partners 2014, ranked in Band 2 for Crime "Ian Wilson comes recommended by interviewees. He is described by sources as "very impressive, very thorough and very credible."
Chambers and Partners 2016: Ian is "hard-working, committed and vastly experienced. He goes about his work with charm, humour and goodwill."
The Legal 500: "Able to draw on a wealth of experience and knowledge", and is "capable of looking at a case from a defendant’s perspective."
- Chambers & Partners 2019: Clients and counsel both recognise his "ability to convert dense detail into something readily understandable by police officers" as well as his"encyclopaedic knowledge of police regulations."
- Chambers and Partners 2020: Ian Wilson is a partner in the firm's Cardiff office. He is particularly well regarded for his handling of criminal litigation concerning police misconduct. Sources note: ''He has the best possible inside knowledge of the police system.''
- 2012 - Slater and Gordon Lawyers UK
- 1989 - 2012 - Russell Jones and Walker