Slater & Gordon Lawyers offer a free initial consultation about an International Divorce. To discuss your situation call our International Divorce Solicitors on freephone 0800 916 9055 or contact us.
From outside the UK please call +44 20 7657 1555
When married couples living overseas separate and decide to get a divorce, there’s often doubt as to which Country the Divorce Proceedings should be issued in.
Different countries have different divorce laws, so choosing the best jurisdiction for your divorce is a very important decision that we can help you with.
English Divorce Courts Have Jurisdiction When:
1. Both parties are resident in England or Wales.
2. Both parties were last jointly habitually resident in England or Wales and one still resides there.
3. The respondent is habitually resident in England or Wales
4. The divorce petitioner is habitually resident in England or Wales and has resided there for the last 12 months.
5. The petitioner is domiciled and habitually resident in England or Wales and has resided there for at least the last 6 months.
6. Both parties are domiciled in England or Wales.
For example, if an English family is living in Sweden because of the husband’s job, and the husband meets someone else and wants a divorce, the wife would be advised to issue a divorce petition in the UK as soon as possible.
If her husband issues divorce first in Sweden, the Swedish Courts will have exclusive jurisdiction. In that case, the wife might receive a less favourable financial settlement, as Swedish Courts favour a financial clean break, and therefore she might lose the right to spousal maintenance.
International Divorce can be a complex area of Law and it's crucial to get expert legal advice at the earliest opportunity. We offer both flexible pricing and fixed fees for International Divorce and for all our Family & Divorce Law services.
Slater & Gordon have the largest team of Family Lawyers in the UK, and 1,200 staff in 70 locations across Australia.
For a free initial consultation call our International Divorce Solicitors on freephone 0800 916 9055 or contact us online and we will contact you.
Our UK contact centre is open 24 hours 365 days a year.
Slater & Gordon UK have offices in London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield, Milton Keynes, Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Merseyside, Newcastle, Halifax, Wakefield, Derby & meeting rooms in Bramhall, Cheshire & in Hull, Yorkshire.