Widow of joiner awarded six-figure settlement from former employer
09 October 2018
The widow of a joiner who died from mesothelioma as a result of asbestos exposure was awarded a six-figure settlement from his former employer.
What happened: Our client was exposed to asbestos dust whilst employed as a joiner for Manchester City Council at various times between 1967 and 2008. He worked on a number of council sites around the Manchester area including the Collyhurst Estate, Parrs Wood High School and St Chrysostom’s Primary School in Chorlton-on-Medlock.
Impact: Our client subsequently developed mesothelioma and sadly died.
How Slater and Gordon helped: The council denied liability, requiring our client to prove that the asbestos exposure was at such levels to be recognised as hazardous by the standards of the day. It said there was no construction on the Collyhurst Estate at the time the client worked there and denied using any asbestos during that period, but documents were found that proved otherwise. Our enquiries also revealed that asbestos was used extensively in the construction of Parrs Wood and St Chrysostom’s too.
Decision: The council finally admitted liability and the case settled for £250,000.
If you have any questions about the above case study or would like to speak with an expert in industrial disease and asbestos cases, contact us here.
Recent Case Studies
Tuesday 17th December 2019
Wednesday 11th December 2019
Monday 2nd December 2019