Former Factory Worker Exposed to Asbestos and Chalk
24 September 2015
A retired factory worker diagnosed with lung disease, pneumoconiosis, receives an out-of-court settlement for exposure to asbestos and chalk.
Slater and Gordon Lawyer: Pauline Chandler is a Personal Injury Lawyer at Slater and Gordon in Manchester.
What happened: Mr Price worked for years in the press shop at David Moseley and Sons, later Avon-Moseley, in Ardwick. He prepared sheets of rubber, chalking and curing them on hot presses, so they could be sold to manufacturers. The steam-powered presses were constantly breaking down along with the pipes which ran the length of the walls and ceiling and were covered in disintegrating asbestos lagging.
Clouds of chalk and asbestos dust often made conditions unbearable and he would regularly go home with it covering his overalls, which his wife would then wash.
Impact: The dad-of-one didn’t think anything of it until three years ago when an X-ray to investigate shoulder pain revealed he had pneumoconiosis, a lung disease caused by inhaling the deadly combination of asbestos and chalk dust which could lead to cancer.
Although exposure to asbestos is a common cause of industrial disease, Mr Price’s condition was also as a result of him inhaling chalk or talc dust which is relatively rare. The combination has had a devastating and debilitating impact on his life.
Decision: Mr Price was awarded an out-of-court settlement which could increase if his condition gets worse.
Related practice areas:
If you have any questions about the above case study or would like to speak with a solicitor specialising in asbestos or mesothelioma claims, call us for a free consultation, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0800 884 0275 or contact us online.
Related Case Studies
Tuesday 9th October 2018
Wednesday 3rd January 2018
Thursday 14th December 2017