Back to Legal Case Studies

Insufficient Training Leads to Serious Burns for our Client

19 August 2010

Our client was working for a lining company, blacking out the hard shoulder on the motorway with plastic at night. There were no lights at the side of the vehicle where he was working and therefore visibility was poor. He went to pull a lever on the boiler with his hand to release the hot liquid plastic into a jug he was holding in the other hand. When the spout opened too much plastic came out due to the air pressure in the boiler and spilled onto his gloves and jacket. Due to the poor health and safety at the company, the hot plastic went through his gloves and jacket and he suffered with first degree burns. The plastic set on his hands and arms and had to be peeled off at the hospital. He had numerous burns and he then had to have a skin graft taken from his thigh. He has permanent scarring which he is conscious of.  RJW successfully secured £18,500 in compensation for the accident at work which our client suffered.