For a variety of reasons you may not want to take the step of getting divorced when you separate from your spouse. 

You may however want to formalise any agreements you reach in relation to the children and property. If you are able to reach a voluntary agreement then this can be incorporated into a deed of separation, also called a Separation Agreement.

Separation Agreements Legal Advice Guide