Although a pension cannot be immediately cashed in and is held in one party’s sole name - it is in a divorce or dissolution treated as an asset that can be divided between the parties. In this legal advice guide the expression ‘spouse’ will also mean Civil Partner.

Before negotiations can take place you will need to obtain a cash equivalent transfer value from your pension provider. This is the value of your pension at the date you make the request and the value that your pension would be given if you were able to transfer it to a new pension scheme.

If your pension is already in payment you will need to obtain a cash equivalent benefit statement from your pension provider, as well as letting us have your last three payment slips.

A summary of the current options available to you and the advantages and disadvantages of each of the options is provided below.

Pensions on Divorce or Dissolution Legal Advice Guide