The last thing you expect when you hire a professional is for them to be negligent. Unfortunately, some professionals do make mistakes, miss deadlines and misadvise their clients. Our professional negligence lawyers here at Slater and Gordon specialise in resolving these mistakes through negotiation, arbitration or mediation.
What is professional negligence?
Professional negligence cases cover a range of areas including where you’ve been given poor legal advice that doesn’t work for you or isn’t correct. Other examples include:
- Your will has been drafted incorrectly
- Your trust or estate has been wrongly managed
- You’ve been given incorrect financial advice
- A professional advises you on matters that are beyond their particular area of expertise
- An engineer or architect provides you with flawed designs, or fails to spot a design flaw
- A solicitor misses a crucial deadline for your case
- A surveyor fails to see a defect when undertaking a pre-purchase survey.
It covers many professionals providing you with a service which doesn’t meet the level you should expect. If you’ve experienced problems as a result of a professional’s lack of care and attention, incompetence or negligence, then you could have a professional negligence claim.
Our areas of expertise include acting for claimants against professionals such as:
- Financial advisors
- Insurance brokers
The consequences of receiving bad advice or a below standard service can be devastating.. It can cause you to make a bad investment, to lose a significant amount of money or to take unnecessary risks. It can even lead to the failure of a business or personal bankruptcy, all because an individual or company in a position of authority didn’t provide you with the standard of service that you trusted they would provide.
Please click on the links below for more information on some of the professional negligence services we offer here at Slater and Gordon Lawyers:
How to start a professional negligence claim
If you think you have a legitimate claim for professional negligence against a professional individual or company you have dealt with, the first thing to do is to call Slater and Gordon Lawyers on Freephone on 0808 175 8000 to discuss whether or not you’ve a case. Simply provide all the details of what happened and our trained experts will aim to assess whether or not you’ve a right to claim compensation or damages based on:
- Whether another experienced professional working in the same industry would have given you the same or different advice
- If it can be proven that the professional didn’t adhere to the common standards of best practice in his or her industry.
If either of these two grounds can be proven, our professional negligence claims solicitors could help you to win your case. We aim to demonstrate that the professional had a duty of care to you as the client, and that this duty of care was breached. Another crucial step of the process is proving causation, which means whether or not the poor standard of service you received from the professional was directly or indirectly responsible for any losses you may have suffered.
Our solicitors will establish a measure of the losses you’ve suffered because of the breach of duty, and ask the courts to restore you to the position you were in before you sought professional advice.
Why choose Slater and Gordon Lawyers?
Our professional negligence claims team is highly respected for their extensive work advising on disputes involving the provision of professional services, whether that’s the instruction of a solicitor in the handling of a divorce or an accountant preparing company accounts.
We pride ourselves on delivering clear and commercially-focused advice. This can a complex area of the law to navigate, requiring specific experience and expertise, which is why it’s essential for the outcome of your case to have a respected law firm such as Slater and Gordon Lawyers on your side.
At Slater and Gordon Lawyers, we understand that the most important thing for clients is the early resolution of disputes on acceptable financial terms. No one wants a drawn-out, costly or stressful case. With that in mind, although our professional negligence claims solicitors have considerable trial experience, we support all forms of alternative dispute resolution and successfully resolve claims through mediation on a regular basis. This essentially means that if possible and if it’s in your best interests as our client, we’ll avoid expensive litigation and aim to resolve your case out of court.
However, if your professional negligence dispute turns to litigation, you can have complete confidence that your Slater and Gordon solicitors have the expertise and the resources to follow it all the way through in a cost-conscious way.
Our recent cases include:
- Acting for an individual in a claim against former solicitors for failure to advise fully on the costs, consequences and merits of a linked litigation case
- Acting for two individuals in pursuing a claim against a financial advisor after entering into Enterprise Investment Schemes
- Acting for an individual in a claim against former solicitors for negligent advice on the financial implications of their divorce settlement
- Acting for a company in a claim against solicitors who gave negligent advice in a property transaction causing substantial loss.
Slater and Gordon Lawyers is one of the UK's largest and best known law firms. Wherever in the country you’re based, we can help. We can offer immediate legal representation throughout the UK from our offices in London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Cambridge, Leeds and Watford.