Matthew Tomlinson Practice Group Leader, Personal Injury
Matthew has been with Slater and Gordon Lawyers (formerly Russell Jones & Walker) and based in the Sheffield Office since January 1998. He qualified as a Solicitor in 2004, became a Partner in 2009 and in 2013 was made Practice Group Leader for Employers Liability Fast Track.
He studied law at Sheffield Hallam University and completed his LPC at Huddersfield University. In November 2010 he was awarded the Young Achiever of the Year at the prestigious Personal Injury Awards 2010 ceremony. Please read our attached press release to find out more.
Matthew has dealt with claims on behalf of injured police officers and their families throughout his career. He now managers the Employers Liability Fast Track Team nationally which includes a team of 13 lawyers based in Sheffield who deal solely with claims arising out of accidents at work and specialising in claims on behalf of police officers who were unfortunate enough to be injured during the course of their duties.
Matthew and his team deal with claims on behalf of officers within the Police Federation North East Region 2 and has done so since 1998. The team now also deal with Employers Liability claims on behalf of officers in the Eastern Region 4 Division, the South East Region 5 Division and the London Region 8 Division. Matthew and his team have considerable experience of dealing with claims on behalf of injured police officer and have had notable successes at trial on numerous occasions over the years.
Matthew has represented a number of police officers who have been unfortunate enough to be injured whilst on holiday in road traffic accidents. He is a member of both the Pan-European Organisation of Personal Injury Lawyers (PEOPIL) and the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL).
His notable settlements include:-
- Substantial damages from the CICA for the family of a police officer murdered during an armed robbery.
- £250,000.00 for a police officer who was medically retried from the force following a significant leg injury sustained in a road traffic accident whilst on duty.
- Six figure damages for police officer who was a victim of a drunk driver who sustained a brachial plexus injury which severely restricted his future employment prospects.
- Substantial damages for an off duty police officer who sustained spinal injuries in a road traffic accident which resulted in medical retirement.
- Damages for a police officer injured during a self defence refresher training programme. This was a case that succeeded at trial which was robustly defended by the Defendant Police Force throughout.
- £250,000 for a police officer who was medically retired as a result of injuries sustained in the pursuit of an offender.
Matthew is highly thought of by his clients. Please see below a selection of client comments.
“Many thanks for all your hard work. We could not have wished for a better solicitor”.
“Matthew, I just wanted to say thank you for all that you have done for me. You are a credit to your profession”.
“My family and I would like to thank you for being so understanding and for guiding us through the whole legal process. We are delighted with the final compensation package that you have obtained through your hard work and attention to detail.”
“Once again thank you for all that you have done for me. I was apprehensive about bringing a claim but from the moment I met you I had every confidence in you and your abilities to progress my claim. You did not let me down.”