It can be difficult to work out which benefits you may be entitled to claim so below are the main ones you should know about.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

If you have been diagnosed with Mesothelioma due to Asbestos exposure at work you will be entitled to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB). You will need to show that you worked in a job after the 4th July 1948 that exposed you to Asbestos at a higher level than is found in the environment at large.

You will not be eligible for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you were exposed to Asbestos only whilst you were self-employed.

How to Apply

You should apply for IIDB on form BI 100 or you can print the form from the DWP’s website. If you ask us to deal with your claim we will provide you with a copy of the form and will help you complete it.

A medical report will be sent to the Benefits Agency confirming that you have Mesothelioma.

You will be entitled to the full (100%) rate of IIDB.

In Mesothelioma cases, IIDB can be paid from when you were first disabled by the disease, but it cannot be paid for more than 3 months before the date of your claim. For this reason, it is very important that you submit the application form without delay.

IIDB is not affected by your earnings or any other income you may have. It is not taxable.

Constant Attendance Allowance

You will be eligible if the effects of Mesothelioma mean that you need care and attention for most of the time.

Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance

You will be eligible if you are very severely disabled and you already have one of the two higher rates of Constant Attendance Allowance and you are always likely to need to be looked after.

You do not have to make a separate claim for Constant Attendance Allowance or Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance. Your entitlement will be considered at the same time as your IDDB.

You only need apply if your condition deteriorates so that you only discover that you need Constant Attendance Allowance some time after making your application for IIDB. You should then claim on form BI104 which you can get from a Job Centre Plus, Social Security Office, or online via

Call our Asbestos Compensation Solicitors on freephone 0800 884 0275 or claim online.

Slater and Gordon can provide immediate legal representation and rehabilitation support anywhere in the UK from our offices in London, Manchester, Watford, Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Cambridge, and Preston.

Solicitors at Slater and Gordon are members of the Law Society Personal Injury Panel, the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) & the Pan European Organisation of Personal Injury Lawyers (PEOPIL).