Tom Nutter Practice Group Leader, Criminal Defence
Tom is a Senior Criminal Defence Solicitor at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in Leeds.
Tom is the head of the criminal and misconduct department in Manchester and Newcastle and is predominantly instructed by the Police Federation to represent its members.
He regularly acts for police officers charged with serious criminal offences and in proceedings under the Police Conduct Regulations.
Tom has particular expertise and experience in advising officers in the aftermath of fatal road traffic accidents, shootings, deaths in custody and acting for officers as “interested persons” at inquest.
He has acted for clients in many high profile cases including officers charged with misconduct in public office, gross negligence, manslaughter and causing death by dangerous driving.
He currently leads the Slater and Gordon team in the representation of officers, both serving and retired in relation to the inquest arising from the Hillsborough stadium disaster and the criminal investigations being conducted by the Independent Police Complaints Commission and Operation Resolve.
- Professional Discipline
Commendations from Independent Legal Directories
- Chambers and Partners: Tom is “committed, consistent and relentless in the protection of his clients’ interests”.
- Chambers and Partners 2016: Tom is "very balanced and thoughtful."
- Chambers and Partners 2017
- Chambers and Partners 2018: Tom Nutter "gives clear, frank and reasoned advice. His judgement is invariably sound, and his tactical instincts are repeatedly proved right." "He is down-to-earth and approachable, yet fights his client's corner with unrelenting tenacity and skill."
- Since 2004 Slater & Gordon
- College of Law, York
- University of Huddersfield
- Accredited police station representative