Richard Black Principal Lawyer, Criminal Defence
Richard is a principal lawyer in the criminal department at Slater and Gordon in Manchester.
He is an expert in criminal defence and police misconduct. He has a well-deserved far reaching reputation in the field of criminal law and regulations and he is one of the most recognised names in professional misconduct and criminal law.
He primarily represents police officers from the main forces in the North West in all aspects of criminal and misconduct cases. He has dealt with many high profile cases both in the Crown Court and in the Coroners Court, including representing officers in relation to fatal road traffic accidents, fatal shootings and deaths in custody.
Richard’s cases are often the subject of national news coverage. He has a gravitas that ensures anyone involved at this level feel more secure in being represented by him.
Richard has a keen interest in foreign languages and speaks fluent French with a good working knowledge of Russian and Italian.
Cases of note
- R-v-McKie: Richard represented Darren McKie, an Inspector with Greater Manchester Police who was charged and subsequently convicted of murdering his wife in September 2017.
- Cumbria Police v DI Amanda Sadler: Di Sadler was the Deputy Senior Investigator in the investigation surrounding the highly publicised death of toddler Poppi Worthington. She was demoted to the rank of Sergeant following a gross incompetence hearing.
- Lancashire Police v PC Stuart Wright: PC Wright was found not guilty of gross incompetence following his use of Taser on an elderly, visually impaired male in Chorley Town Centre, having mistaken his white stick for a samurai sword.
- The Anthony Grainger Public Inquiry: Richard represents officer “Q9” who shot and killed Mr Grainger in a police operation in March 2012. Due to the covert nature of some of the evidence, the matter was referred to a public inquiry to allow evidence to be called in closed hearings.
Commendations from independent legal directories
- Legal 500 - Richard is a "leading individual" for general crime in the North West.
- Legal 500 - Richard provides an "excellent service; all communications are dealt with promptly, professionally, and the team is very knowledgeable." The practice has a "justifiably impressive reputation" thanks to its "high-calibre lawyers who are all industrious, dedicated and tenacious." Richard is "one of the most experienced solicitors around and is renowned for his defence work for police officers."
- Criminal defence - Police Station representation; Magistrates Court advocacy; Crown Court
- Defence of road traffic accidents
- Deaths/serious injury following police contract, police shootings, deaths in custody and police pursuits
- Coroners court inquests and Public Inquiries
- Since 2001 Slater and Gordon Lawyers
- 1991 – 2000 Russell and Russell
- College of Law, York, Solicitors Finals
- Cardiff Law School, LLB (Hons)
Recent Testimonials for Richard Black
“This has truly been the hardest journey of my life and your support has been invaluable to me. Throughout this time you have been far more than my solicitor – you have been a friend, a listening ear, an advisor, someone I could laugh and cry with and beyond everything else someone who believed in me and fought for my case. During the latter and most difficult few months you made yourself available whenever I needed you, always provided reality checks and never made any promises you couldn’t keep – for this I am incredibly grateful.”