Rachel Harfield Principal Lawyer & Team Leader, Employment
Rachel is a Senior Employment Lawyer at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in Cardiff.
Rachel represents senior executives, private and public sector employees across a wide spectrum of employment disputes.
She undertakes all types of employment law work but her particular area of expertise lies in complex discrimination claims involving disability, maternity, flexible working and whistleblowing.
Rachel also handles unfair dismissal claims, redundancy disputes and the negotiation of complex severance packages.
She combines her discrimination work with her public law and pension practice, where she regularly advises in respect of public sector pension and regulatory issues.
She is an experienced litigator in the Administrative Court, High Court, County Court, at employment appeal tribunals, Appellate Courts and before the pensions ombudsman and information commissioner.
Catherine Howells assists Rachel with her cases.
- Disability discrimination
- Maternity disputes
- Flexible working disputes
- Unfair dismissal
Commendations from independent legal directories
- Chambers and Partners: Rachel "explains matters so that they are understandable, rather than just in legal jargon” and in terms of whistle-blowing and discrimination claims “her knowledge of the subject matter is second to none."
- Legal 500: She is recognised as being “cool under fire and a tough negotiator".
- Chambers and Partners: Rachel has extensive experience working with police officers.
- Chambers and Partners 2017: Rachel is an "absolutely excellent lawyer" who "is one of the most intelligent employment lawyers of her generation."
- Chambers and Partners 2018: Rachel is "incredibly well organised, and excellent at preparation and planning" with an "extremely nice manner."
- Since 2002 Slater and Gordon
- Member of the Employment Lawyers Association
- Council member of the Cardiff and District Law Society