Laura Preston (née Craig) Senior Associate, Clinical Negligence
Laura is a senior associate solicitor and team leader in the clinical negligence team at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in London.
She manages and supervises 7 staff. She handles cases involving all aspects of medical negligence (including birth injury for mother and baby, spinal injury, surgical injury, orthopaedic injury, missed or delayed diagnosis, failure to treat and fatal accident cases including inquests) on behalf of injured patients and their families and has focused solely on this practice area since 2008.
Laura has particular experience in spinal injury and delay in diagnosis claims. She has successfully run several cases relating to faulty medical products including failed hip implants and pharmaceutical products. Laura has worked on two large group litigation cases: the Fetal Anti-convulsant Litigation and most recently as Deputy Lead Solicitor on the ground-breaking and successful litigation against negligent breast surgeon, Mr Ian Paterson, which settled for £37 million. The settlement was approved by the Court, allowing hundreds of claimants (treated Privately by Mr Paterson). This case has brought the issue of Private sector regulation and patient safety to the forefront of media attention and a public inquiry is being undertaken as a result.
Her clients say “She was very conscientious and honest. Using her skills and vast experience she represented my interests very well. She updated me regularly on the progress of my matter for which I am very grateful to her” Mr L, client.
Ms Heidi Knight, Barrister at Serjeants’ Inn Chambers refers to Laura as ‘immensely personable and approachable’ but also ‘fearless in achieving the right result for her clients’.
Laura frequently provides media commentary on clinical negligence issues and has had several of her cases reported in the media gaining television, radio, social media and newspaper coverage for her clients and raising awareness in the public domain. She recently commented on her case in which a woman was paralysed following an epidural given during childbirth.
She also spoke to the media to highlight a case in which her client suffered severe burns from a hospital mattress during surgery.
Some of her recent settlements include:
-£1.5 million recovered for a diabetic bilateral amputee.
- £1 million lump sum plus ongoing annual payments recovered for a woman who suffered spinal paralysis following child birth.
- £870,000 recovered for a widower and his son after the death of Mrs L, a Jehovah’s witness who died owing to an avoidable haemorrhage during childbirth.
-£450,000 recovered for a woman who suffered a delay in diagnosis of anal cancer.
- £225,000 recovered for a man who underwent five negligent knee operations.
- £150,000 recovered for a woman who suffered a delay in diagnosis of cervical cancer which resulted in her becoming infertile.
- Multiple recoveries for parents who have lost babies following negligently managed labour; recoveries ranged between £20,000-90,000.
- £70,000 recovered for a woman who suffered a delay in diagnosis of bowel cancer.
- £120,000 recovered for a man who underwent negligent shoulder surgery.
- £75,000 recovered for a man who sustained third degree burns during surgery.
- Birth injury
- Surgical injury
- Orthopaedic injury
- Delayed diagnosis
- Medical negligence fatalities
- Spinal injury
- Neonatal death
- Product liability (Medical products)
Commendations from independent legal directories
- Trainee Solicitor of the Year at the Yorkshire Lawyer Award 2010
- Since September 2014 Slater and Gordon
- 2006 - 2014 Irwin Mitchell LLP
- BPP Law, Leeds
- Newcastle University
- Member of the Law Society
- Member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)
- An APIL accredited litigator and member of the Junior Lawyers Division
- Contributing editor to the APIL: Clinical Negligence Guide 2nd Edition, 2014 and to the upcoming 2018 edition.
Recent Testimonials for Laura Preston (née Craig)
“I would like to thank Laura for her diligence.”
Mrs H, Bedfordshire
“I'm in the middle of the medical claim process with Laura Preston and she's been fantastic throughout. I thought it would be a stressful and difficult process but Laura has made it easy, painless, and stress-free thanks to her open communication and hard work behind the scenes. I have no doubt that this lawsuit will end with a positive result.”
“I would like to thank Laura for dealing with my clinical negligence claim. Using her skills and vast experience she represented my interests very well. She updated me regularly on the progress of my matter and was very thoughtful and interested in taking all necessary steps to make sure that my son and I are rightfully compensated. Thanks to Laura’s commitment and professional approach everything ended well for my little son and me.”