Laura Preston (née Craig) Senior Associate, Clinical Negligence
Laura is a clinical negligence solicitor in Slater and Gordon's London office.
She handles cases involving all aspects of medical negligence on behalf of injured patients and their families and has been a specialist in this area for over five years. Laura trained at Irwin Mitchell LLP before joining Slater and Gordon in 2014.
Laura's practice includes birth injury for mother and baby, spinal injury, surgical injury, orthopaedic injury, missed or delayed diagnosis, failure to treat and fatal accident cases including inquests arising out of medical negligence. She prides herself on giving exceptional client care by being approachable and empathetic with vulnerable clients whilst ensuring that her legal work is of the highest quality. She strives to recover maximum compensation so that her clients can rebuild their lives following injury. She has established strong links with the best barristers and medical experts in the field to assist in getting the best results for her clients.
Laura has particular experience in spinal injury and neonatal death claims. She has run several cases relating to faulty medical products including failed hip implants and pharmaceutical products. Laura has worked on two large group litigation cases: the Fetal Anti-convulsant Litigation and most recently the litigation being pursued against negligent breast surgeon, Mr Ian Paterson.
Laura frequently provides media commentary on clinical negligence issues and has had several of her cases reported in the media gaining television, radio, social media and newspaper coverage for her clients and raising awareness in the public domain. She recently commented on a case in which a woman was paralysed following an epidural given during childbirth.
She also spoke to the media to highlight a case in which her client suffered severe burns from a hospital mattress during surgery.
Some of her recent settlements include:
- £1 million lump sum plus ongoing annual payments recovered for a woman who suffered spinal paralysis following child birth.
- £225,000 recovered for a man who underwent five negligent knee operations.
- £150,000 recovered for a woman who suffered a delay in diagnosis of cervical cancer which resulted in her becoming infertile.
- multiple recoveries for parents who lost babies following negligently managed labour; recoveries ranged between £20,000-90,000.
- £70,000 recovered for a woman who suffered a delay in diagnosis of bowel cancer.
- £120,000 recovered for a man who underwent negligent shoulder surgery.
- £75,000 recovered for a man who sustained third degree burns during surgery.
- Admission of liability on a fatal claim involving delay in diagnosis of lung cancer with five figure interim payment obtained before case settlement.
- Birth injury
- Surgical injury
- Orthopaedic injury
- Delayed diagnosis
- Medical negligence fatalities
- Spinal injury
- Neonatal death
- Product liability (Medical products)
Commendations from independent legal directories
- Trainee Solicitor of the Year at the Yorkshire Lawyer Award 2010
- Since September 2014 Slater and Gordon
- 2006 - 2014 Irwin Mitchell LLP
- BPP Law, Leeds
- Newcastle University
- Member of the Law Society
- Member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)
- An APIL accredited litigator and member of the Junior Lawyers Division
- Contributing editor to the APIL: Clinical Negligence Guide 2nd Edition, 2014
Recent Testimonials for Laura Preston (née Craig)
“I'm in the middle of the medical claim process with Laura Preston and she's been fantastic throughout. I thought it would be a stressful and difficult process but Laura has made it easy, painless, and stress-free thanks to her open communication and hard work behind the scenes. I have no doubt that this lawsuit will end with a positive result.”
“I would like to thank Laura for dealing with my clinical negligence claim. Using her skills and vast experience she represented my interests very well. She updated me regularly on the progress of my matter and was very thoughtful and interested in taking all necessary steps to make sure that my son and I are rightfully compensated. Thanks to Laura’s commitment and professional approach everything ended well for my little son and me.”