Julie Morris Head of Core Services, General Law
Julie is a senior employment lawyer and head of core services for general law at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in the City of London.
She has more than 17 years’ experience in all areas of employment law and partnership law, and has particular expertise in discrimination and whistleblowing cases involving senior executives and individuals.
She has represented numerous senior individuals including partners in city law firms, brokers, senior executives in industry and in all areas of financial services. Whilst she has acted for many individuals who's cases have fought before the Tribunal and courts, many more of her cases have settled confidentially.
She also regularly advises employees and partners on contractual issues - both on joining and on leaving organisations – and on FCA issues for those in the financial services industry.
Julie has a particular interest in maternity discrimination and is a recognised authority in the field.
Elizabeth Thompson assists Julie on her cases and their details can be found here.
Notable employment law cases
- Julie successfully acted for one of the defendants in the three-week High Court trial Lonmar Global Risks Limited v West and Others, a major insurance industry team move case.
- Julie acted for the claimant in a high profile whistleblowing claim against the NHS - Chowdhury vs Ealing Hospital NHS Trust - where the claimant was awarded a rare interim relief order securing her full pay, despite her dismissal, until trial.
- Julie acted for Hanan and Samira Fariad, in their extensively reported claims for sex, race and religious discrimination against Tradition Securities and Futures SA, arguably one of London’s most high profile city discrimination cases.
- Julie successfully advised Tilern de Bique, a single parent from St Vincent serving in the British Army, in a groundbreaking sex and race discrimination case against the Ministry of Defence.
Commendations from independent legal directories
- Chambers and Partners 2018 Band 2
- Chambers and Partners 2017 Band 1
- Chambers and Partners 2016: Julie has "a great nose for where litigation is going, and a great skill for understanding what a client wants and needs,"according to respondents. One source describes her as "one of the absolute best solicitors working in employment." Julie is cited as a "leader in the field" of employment law and has been for the past 8 years, putting her in the top 10 senior executive employment lawyers in London. She is noted for her work on high-profile discrimination cases and also handling maternity and equal pay claims. In previous years, Chambers noted that Julie is a "fantastic claimant-focused solicitor who is tactical and sensitive, and able to get good results." She "retains a laudable degree of common sense when conducting negotiations" and is "supportive, reliable and seeks to understand her clients' concerns."
- London Super Lawyers Magazine: One of the top 100 lawyers and the top 50 women solicitors in London 2013 and 2014 (not published in 2015/16)
- The Legal 500: Julie is "brilliant" and her “charm conceals great intellect and a stubborn insistence on standing up for her clients’ rights".
- Who's Who Legal Labour, Employment and Benefits 2016, cited as a leader in the field.
- Since 2001 Russell Jones and Walker and Slater and Gordon
- 1999 - 2001 Ashurst Solicitors (then Ashurst Morris Crisp)
Recent Testimonials for Julie Morris
“I wanted to thank you once again for all your wise help and support. I particularly remember one late evening when you were redrafting important statements for me at or around midnight! I could not have got through this without you.”
“I want to thank you for all your guidance and advice, making this settlement process so much less stressful. It's been a pleasure working alongside you.”
Senior Executive, Advertising
“Finally, I wanted to personally thank you for all your help in this process. Having someone as responsive as you and whose advice I could trust gave me great confidence in my negotiations. Knowing how far I could go in my statements was invaluable in this situation and allowed me to deliver my arguments with full force. I am very pleased with the outcome.”