John Fawcett Principal Lawyer, Court of Protection
John is a principal lawyer in our court of protection team in Manchester.
He previously worked in a boutique private client practice in London and prior to that was a self-employed consultant in his own legal practice. As a junior solicitor, John honed his tax training with a firm of international accountants.
His specialist skills are frequently called upon in high value and complex trust and probate matters. John strives to obtain successful outcomes for clients and negotiates with HMRC to mitigate their capital taxes liabilities.
As an experienced public speaker, John has conducted seminars and presentations to professionals and members of the public, as well as publishing several legal articles.
He is a trustee of a national charity and actively assists numerous charitable organisations in Sheffield and the surrounding areas. John is always keen to establish close working relationships with other like-minded professionals and service providers.
- Court of protection
- Capital taxes planning and mitigation (IHT & CGT)
- Will planning, advice and preparation
- Estate planning and advice for UHNW clients and their families
- Administration of deceased estates
- Lifetime settlements
- Will trusts
- Agricultural and business assets tax relief
- Overseas issues (domicile, taxation and investments)
- Mental capacity issues
- Powers of attorney
- Personal injury trusts
- Free legal clinics for local charities
- Since 2016: Slater and Gordon Lawyers UK
- 2005-2016: Self employed Consultant Legal Advisor
- 1999-2005: Legal100 firms and international accountants
- Studied Business and Finance at the University of Huddersfield
- Completed LLB at the University of Sheffield
- Currently undertaking further specialist post-graduate legal study training and examinations in tax, trusts and estates (UK and international legal aspects)
- Solicitors Regulation Authority
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Sheffield and District Law Society
- Commonwealth Law Association
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Law Society Private Client Section
- Solicitors for the Elderly
- Institute of Legacy Management
- Agricultural Law Association
- Dementia Friend