James Farrell Solicitor, Business Crime and Regulation
James is a solicitor in our business crime and regulation team at Slater and Gordon in London.
Prior to qualifying as a solicitor, James spent 30 years in the Metropolitan Police and worked as a Detective Inspector in a number of roles.
James joined Slater and Gordon Lawyers in 2014 and trained in the property and employment law departments before training and qualifying into the business crime and regulation team.
He has successfully defended clients accused of serious assaults, aggravated burglary, fraud, money laundering and trading standards offences. James is highly rated for his client care skills and has been instructed by clients being prosecuted by numerous authorities, including the Crown Prosecution Service, Child Support Agency, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), General Medical Council, Health Care and Professional Council, National Crime Agency Anti-Corruption Unit, Trading Standards, Information Commissioner's Office and the Football Association.
Head of Operations for the Covert Technical Surveillance Unit
- Operational lead for all covert technical surveillance deployments and risk assessments and responsibility for compliance of intrusive surveillance and property interference authorities.
- Lead for covert technical surveillance response to London 2012 Olympics. Planned MPS response with other forces through Home Office. Arranged joint training and continued dialogue with the Security Service & Special Forces.
- Advised on tactics for deploying technical surveillance equipment for serious crime and terrorism, both nationally and internationally.
- Managed the exploitation of mobile networks & cyber security systems and ensured all operational activity met passed the scrutiny of the Office of Surveillance Commissioners.
Public Protection and General Crime
- Supervision of staff investigating bank fraud, money laundering & related confiscations.
- Responsibility for the investigation of serious sexual assaults & domestic abuse.
- Chair of Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements to manage sexual & violent offenders.
- Lead investigator for Serious Sexual Assaults and Unexplained Deaths, reporting to Coroner.
- Conducted joint investigations with the Health and Safety Executive for work related deaths
Cases of note
- Police officer cleared of GBH charge
- Cambridge student insists domestic violence victim
- Fellow student battered
- Serious and general crime including fraud
- Regulatory crime including health and safety
- Environmental, trading standards and HMRC
- Regulatory enforcement including FCA, CQC and FA
- Since 2014: Slater and Gordon Lawyers UK
- 2004-2014: Detective Inspector in the Metropolitan Police
- 1984-2004: Various roles in the Metropolitan Police including Intelligence Manager and Firearms
- Studied at the Open University - LLB (Hons) 2.1
- Studied at the College of Law, London - LPC
- Member of the YFLA
- "James Farrell worked tirelessly on my case with a dogged determination and persistence. He kept chasing after all the evidence and documents we required for our court case. When we got to court, the evidence collected by James was so powerful, the other side caved in and threw in the towel - we won the case hands down. Well done James, Keep up the good work."
“I cannot recommend Slater Gordon highly enough, and James Farrell was top notch. My experience with them was one of total professionalism whilst maintaining empathy with me and my family. Everything was completed on time and more that satisfactorily as promised by James. I would definitely use them again and recommend them to my friends and family.”
“Was assisted by Slater and Gordon and in particular James Farrell and had a very positive experience. I was kept up to date regularly and was always able to contact him pretty much 24/7. Glad I picked them and was very happy James was appointed to look after myself. Would recommend him/them to anyone.”
“Very impressed. I had a highly professional and efficient service from James Farrell at S+G. The cost was reasonable too. Recommended.”
“James Farrell at Slater and Gordon was great at handling my issue, offered wonderful advice and would liaise with me regularly. Would highly recommend Slater and Gordon and their services based on the professional and efficient service that James provided.”