Gill Owen Principal Lawyer, Industrial Disease
Gill is a principal lawyer within our industrial disease team at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in Manchester.
She has 20 years' experience specialising in asbestos related disease cases including mesothelioma, asbestos related lung cancer, asbestosis and pleural thickening. Gill has also represented members from a large number of trade unions.
She was selected to represent the interests of claimants as part of a small consultation group formed by the presiding circuit judge in Manchester to instigate fast track procedures and ensure that mesothelioma and non-malignant asbestos claims are dealt with as expeditiously as possible.
- Fletcher v A Train and Sons Limited 2008: The Court of Appeal were asked to consider the appropriate multipliers in fatal accident claims.
- Richardson v G F Russell 2006: Gill was instructed by client whose husband had died of mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos when he worked as a plumber. The Judge rejected the Defendant’s arguments that the exposure was so minimal that they were not liable.
- Gill settled a fatal mesothelioma claim in the sum of £1,750,000. The deceased who was 74 when he died was a successful businessman. Complex issues arose in accessing the value of replacing his expertise and business flair.
- Asbestos related lung cancer
- Pleural thickening
- Chambers and Partners 2017: “Gill is an experienced and highly skilled industrial disease lawyer who always goes that extra mile for her clients.”
- Member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)
- Since 2016: Slater and Gordon Lawyers UK
- 2013-2016: Simpsons Solicitors
- 1988-2013: Thompsons Solicitors