Claire Dawson National Practice Group Leader, Employment and Partnership
Claire is an Employment and Partnership Lawyer at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in London.
Claire’s practice encompasses all aspects of employment law - both contentious and non-contentious - for a wide range of individuals.
She regularly advises on severance terms, exit packages, service agreements and contracts, particularly for directors and senior executives.
Claire acts for clients who have unfair dismissal, discrimination and whistleblowing claims in the Employment Tribunal as well as handling High Court disputes involving breach of contract, team moves and post-termination restrictions.
Claire has run a number of complex and high value disability discrimination and age discrimination claims. She has particular experience advising clients with physical disabilities, degenerative conditions and mental health problems and in disputes which involve applications for permanent health insurance and long-term disability benefits. She also regularly acts for women who are concerned about their treatment when pregnant or on return from maternity leave.
She advises doctors, including consultants and GPs, in relation to employment disputes with both the NHS and private employers.
She has considerable experience advising groups of elected employee representatives in collective redundancy situations.
Claire is a regular speaker at conferences and seminars on Employment Law issues and is often asked to comment in the print and broadcast media.
Elizabeth Thompson assists Claire on her cases and their details can be found here.
- Disability Discrimination
- Age Discrimination
- Pregnancy and Maternity Discrimination
- Permanent Health Insurance
- NHS employees
Commendations from independent legal directories
- Chambers and Partners 2019: Praised for her "client-centric, responsive approach."
- Member of The Legal 500's 'Hall of Fame', 2018.
- Chambers and Partners 2018: Claire is described as "very intelligent, very likeable and very good."
- Chambers and Partners 2017: Claire is praised for fighting her client's corner and for being pragmatic and a good communicator.
- Claire is listed as one of the world's leading practitioners in Employment Law in Who's Who Legal 2016.
- Chambers and Partners 2016: Claire is an "extremely effective" adviser.
- Claire is ranked as a notable practitioner in the Chambers & Partners 2015 UK legal directory.
- Claire is recommended by the Legal 500 Guide 2015 as an employment lawyer who has “an excellent knowledge of discrimination law”.
Notable cases (settled confidentially)
- Representing a number of senior executives in Age Discrimination claims resulting in high value settlements;
- A complex Disability Discrimination claim resulting in a favourable settlement for our client;
- A Maternity and Sex Discrimination claim for a senior banker.
- Claire has been with Slater and Gordon (and its predecessor firm Russell Jones & Walker) since 2005. Prior to that, she trained at and qualified into the Employment team at Hammonds (now Squire Patton Boggs).
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Discrimination Law Association
- London Irish Lawyers Association
- UK Member of the LINEE Network (The Lawyers International Network for Employees and Executives)
- “Claire…We cannot thank you enough for all your support and advice over the course of last few months. You really kept us focused on the right things.” Anonymous, November 2014
- “Many thanks for your excellent, professional help on this. You've provided advice which has been clear, thorough and tactful. You have helped me a great deal through a difficult process and this is hugely appreciated.” Senior Executive Client, London
Recent Testimonials for Claire Dawson
“I must say that I very much appreciated your counsel and demeanour throughout. It was a real pleasure to deal with you. You are a consummate professional, but also very human; your empathy and understanding during the darkest hours was appreciated more than you can know. I would have no hesitation in recommending you to anyone who needed a first class employment lawyer.”
Senior Executive, London
“Many thanks again for all your help. Your strategic advice, calm manner and your availability and the speed with which you have dealt with all my calls, emails and requests has been invaluable to me. ”
“Your advice on the employment aspects of our transaction in the UK was greatly appreciated. Your attention to detail and responsiveness exceeded our expectations. We would highly recommend you to others needing similar advice.”
Senior Executive clients, United States