Orthopaedic injury claims
Orthopaedic injuries can be both traumatic and life-changing. If you’ve suffered an orthopaedic injury as a result of medical negligence, Slater and Gordon’s specialist legal experts can help get the compensation you deserve.
Medical negligence experts
Medical negligence expertsContact us
What are orthopaedic medical negligence claims?
Fractures and injuries to bones, joints, muscles, tendons, nerves and ligaments are known as orthopaedic injuries and are usually treated by orthopaedic surgeons. The causes of these injuries usually include and .
However, when an orthopaedic injury is caused or made worse by a procedure or treatment that has gone wrong, an injury that is misdiagnosed, or diagnosis is unnecessarily delayed, this is known as medical negligence and you may have the right to compensation.
Do I have a orthopaedic negligence claim?
Orthopaedic injuries usually occur during diagnosis or treatment. If you’ve suffered due to one of the following mistakes, you might be able to claim orthopaedic compensation:
- Delays or mistakes in diagnosis, particularly in relation to fractures or broken bones
- Problems with surgery or aftercare for knee, hip or elbow replacement procedures
- Surgery carried out without obtaining proper consent
- Surgery carried out on the wrong part of the body
- Damage to nerves during surgery
These kinds of errors, oversights and delays cause unnecessary pain and suffering to the injured person and can even worsen their condition.
What are the most common types of orthopaedic injuries caused by negligence?
Diagnosis and treatment errors can lead to many types of orthopaedic injuries. Examples of cases our clients have received compensation for include:
- A fractured hip left undiagnosed for two weeks
- Fractured vertebrae not diagnosed due to no X-rays being carried out
- A fractured scaphoid missed as the wrong X-rays were carried out
- A fractured talus missed, although the injury was clearly visible on X-rays
- A failure by doctors to diagnose a fractured patella because they didn’t arrange for any X-rays to be conducted
- Hip replacement claims where the wrong component was used and/or the component was not fitted correctly
- Knee replacement claims where the prosthesis was not fitted correctly
- Ligament reconstruction operations where grafts were wrongly placed
- Bunion surgery and operations to straighten toes done badly
What can I claim orthopaedic compensation for?
If you’re suffering due to orthopaedic negligence, you may be able to claim compensation for the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of earnings
- Treatment and physiotherapy
- Care costs
- Aids and equipment
- Any costs which will be incurred in the future as a result of the negligence
How much can I claim for an orthopaedic injury claim?
It goes without saying that every orthopaedic injury claim is different, and the amount of compensation that may ultimately be paid depends on a variety of factors: from long-term prognosis to the cost of any care required.
How much does it cost to make a claim for orthopaedic injuries caused by medical negligence?
We fund the vast majority of our medical negligence cases under a conditional fee agreement, also known as a No Win No Fee agreement.
A No Win No Fee agreement means that if you were to lose your case, it wouldn’t cost you anything, so there’s no financial risk to you.
How much time do I have to make an orthopaedic claim?
If you believe you have a claim, it’s important that you seek advice from a lawyer who specialises in medical negligence cases as soon as possible, as there are time limits in place in England, Scotland and Wales.
Generally, a claim should be made within three years from the date the negligence occurred or the date you were first aware that you had suffered a significant injury or illness due to negligence. However, there are exceptions.
Why choose Slater and Gordon's orthopaedic solicitors?
Not only do we have many years' experience securing compensation for orthopaedic negligence, we also have the utmost sensitivity to handle your case with great care.
We offer home and hospital visits and provide immediate representation and rehabilitation support.
Meet the medical negligence experts
Meet our specialist medical negligence team, many of which are considered 'Leaders in their field' with a significant amount of expertise.
I just wanted to say thank you so much for everything Slater and Gordon have done to fight this case for us. I appreciate it has involved a lot of people. Please can you also thank the expert witnesses who have provided their expertise and help. Mr and Mrs H (medical negligence client)
I cannot recommend Slater and Gordon enough, throughout the entire period of the case, all the staff have been both very professional, and supportive. Mr Q (medical negligence client)
Kept informed regularly as to how my claim was going, prompt replies to any questions I had, excellent customer service at all times. Excellent service from all staff that have been involved in my claim. Ms S (medical negligence client)