Back to Press Releases

0 stars Article rating

Boy Scarred for Life when he was Scalded by Faulty Shower

Boy Scarred for Life when he was Scalded by Faulty Shower

Iyanu Stephens, six, was left with blistered skin on his neck and chest after the water temperature suddenly became fiercely hot as he washed before bed.

His mother Julia, 39, called on manufacturer Triton to carry out a full investigation into what went wrong in order to prevent another person being burnt.

Triton admitted liability over this incident after Julia instructed law firm Slater and Gordon to launch legal action.

Describing the drama, the mother-of-three said: “I just turned my back for a moment when I heard Iyanu scream. There were jets of steam coming from the shower nozzle.

“I could see straightaway that he was quite badly burnt. His skin almost immediately began to go red and blotchy.

“I’m first aid trained so I know how to treat burns. I put him under cold water straight away and covered the wound and took him to hospital.

“Had I not been within earshot of Iyanu and treated the wounds so quickly I think it would have been far worse.”

Julia, a self-employed dressmaker from Bromley, London, said she had complained in March 2013 to the housing association that the shower was suddenly going cold.

The fault was diagnosed as a broken thermostat and changed. But within days of the repair the fault re-emerged – but this time with the warm water suddenly becoming hot.

After the incident the shower was sent to Triton for inspection.

But it has now emerged that the manufacturer cannot locate the faulty shower and therefore was unable to accurately diagnose what had caused the problem.

Julia said: “When I heard that I was quite angry. This is really serious. The manufacturer needs to establish what went wrong and if other showers have the same fault. Losing it is totally unacceptable and they need to carry out a thorough investigation.”

Julia’s lawyer Sarah Davidson, of Slater and Gordon, said: “This is an alarming incident. Iyanu, who was only five years old at the time, was left with quite serious burns to his chest, which required hospital treatment and time off school.

“Had Julia not acted so quickly, and been well trained in first aid and treating burns, the consequences of this could have been even worse.

“Had the shower been in the home of an elderly or vulnerable person the injuries could have had very serious consequences. It is vital that the manufacturer finds out what went wrong with this shower and ensure anyone who may be affected by the fault is alerted to the danger.

“Carrying out a proper investigation may be hampered since the manufacturer has lost the shower in this case.”

Sarah Davidson is a Personal Injury Paralegal at Slater and Gordon Lawyers UK.

If you or a member of your family have been injured as a result of a faulty product, contact Slater and Gordon Personal Injury Lawyers on 0800 916 9046 or contact us online and we’ll be happy to help.

Slater and Gordon are one of the largest personal injury law firms in the UK. We can provide immediate legal representation and rehabilitation support anywhere in the UK from our offices in London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield, Milton Keynes, Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Halifax, Newcastle, Wakefield, Merseyside, Derby or from our meeting rooms in Bramhall, Cheshire and in Hull, Yorkshire.

Take a second to rate this article

Rate an article

Thank you!