Back to Legal Industry News

Dad Calls For Landlords to Fit Alarms After Daughter’s Death From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

By Media Executive

Dad Calls For Landlords to Fit Alarms After Daughter’s Death From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A dad whose daughter died of carbon monoxide poisoning is calling for all landlords to be made to fit alarms in their properties.

Tragic Katie Haines, 31, was found dead at her home in 2010 after breathing in the deadly fumes.

Her father, Gordon Samuel, has since set up a memorial trust to raise awareness of the silent killer.

Speaking at the launch of Gas Safety Week, he said landlords should be made to fit carbon monoxide (CO) alarms and urged homeowners to get their own and have all appliances regularly checked.

He told the Daily Express: “I just could not comprehend why there wasn’t enough education about this lethal gas.

“We formed the trust to try and raise awareness of this terrible silent killer and make sure that nobody else loses loved ones in such a senseless, avoidable way.”

The call came as a YouGov poll revealed that 40 per cent of Brits do not have an audible alarm, which alerts people to faulty central heating and water boilers emitting the odourless gas.

The same number didn’t know that a safe gas appliance flame must be blue, according to research by University College London.  It found a fifth of all homes in the UK had at least one gas appliance rated as ‘At Risk’ or ‘Immediately Dangerous’.

Department of Health figures show that around 50 people die and more than 4,000 people are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning in the UK each year.

New UK legislation introduced in October, 2015, states that CO alarms must be installed in rented residential accommodation for solid fuel burners, but most rented properties use gas.

Carbon monoxide is invisible and has no scent. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea and sickness
  • Tiredness and lethargy
  • Confusions and loss of coordination 
  • Stomach pain
  • Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing
  • Loss of consciousness 
  • Brain damage
  • Death

Gas Safety Week starts on Monday, 19 September. For more information about the dangers of carbon monoxide and how to protect yourself go to The Katie Haines Memorial Trust