29 June 2016
Toddler Injured by Falling Drawers Sparks IKEA Safety Warning
IKEA is urging people to make sure its chests of drawers are properly secured after another child was allegedly injured by the furniture falling on top of them.
Three-year-old Evie-Mae McKenzie, from Nottinghamshire, is reported to have suffered serious head injuries after she was trapped underneath a set of the company’s Malm drawers.
Donna Moore, country customer relations manager at IKEA UK & Ireland, told the Mail Online: “We are saddened that an incident occurred whereby a young child sustained an injury and we have been in direct contact with the customer to investigate the incident.
“IKEA chests of drawers are safe when anchored to the wall, as per the assembly instructions using the tip over restraint provided with the product.
“IKEA urges all customers to check their chests of drawers are securely anchored to the wall.”
The incident comes after the tragic deaths of three children in America in incidents involving the Malm three-drawer or six-drawer units.
A statement published yesterday on IKEA’s US website announced the recall of 29 million sets of Malm drawers and other models.
It describes its children’s and adult chests and dressers as ‘posing a serious tip-over and entrapment hazard that can result in death or injuries to children.’
It adds: “Customers should immediately stop using any recalled chest and dresser that is not properly anchored to the wall and place it into an area that children cannot access.
“Contact IKEA for a choice between two options: refund or a free wall-anchoring repair kit.”
IKEA America says it has also received a further 41 reports of tip-over incidents involving Malm drawers, resulting in 17 injuries to young children.
Since 1989, another three youngsters have died and 19 others injured after IKEA’s other models of chests and dressers fell on top of them, the statement says.
Related Industry NewsRSS feed
Monday 05th December 2016
Thursday 20th October 2016
Tuesday 11th October 2016