Back to Legal Industry News

Family to seek damages for carbon monoxide deaths?

Family to seek damages for carbon monoxide deaths?
Compensation could be sought by the family of an elderly couple who died from carbon monoxide poisoning due to the negligence of a self-employed builder.

Donald and Rosetta O'Sullivan passed away in April 2009 just a few weeks after Mohammed Jamil had carried out a job to raise the roof of the garage of their home in Leyton.

An investigation conducted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) established that Mr Jamil had failed to take into account the impact such a task would have on how the house's gas appliances worked.

Consequently, he inadvertently closed the flue of the property's boiler, which left it in a dangerous condition and resulted in the deadly gas being leaked into the home.

Kevin Smith, an inspector at the HSE, labelled the incident unnecessary and tragic.

Meanwhile, chief executive of the Gas Safe Register Paul Johnston added: "In the right hands gas is safe, but badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning."

Contact our accident and injury solicitors on 0800 916 9046 or email enquiries@rjwslatergordon.co.uk if you would like advice on any personal injury matter

Posted by Trusha Vyas