An industrial disease claim may be launched by a family after it emerged a loved one died due to an asbestos-related illness.
According to the North West Evening Mail, Alan Scott passed away at the age of 89 in February this year and the inquest into his death has now established this was caused by bronchopneumonia.
Coroner Ian Smith indicated he is satisfied that this condition was a direct result of the fact Mr Scott had been exposed to the lethal substance throughout his lifelong career as a shipyard worker.
During the hearing at Barrow Town Hall earlier this week, his widow Sheila said that while Mr Smith had smoked in the past, he had only done so "very, very slightly".
Furthermore, Mr Smith noted that a "significant number" of people who worked regularly on shipyards are likely to pass away from conditions such as mesothelioma, bronchopneumonia, asbestosis and heart disease.
Contact our accident and injury solicitors on 0800 916 9046 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like advice on any personal injury matter
Posted by Trusha Vyas