07 October 2011
Compensation awarded for 'starved boy'
A six-year-old boy has been paid £3 million in damages regarding medical negligence because he almost starved to death in the days following his birth in 2005.
Compensation was handed to Matthew Kuriakose by the NHS after the child suffered a hypoglycaemic attack due to lack of nourishment while at Arrowe Park Hospital - which serves a population of 40,000 across Wirral, Ellesmere Port and Neston - the Liverpool Daily Post reports.
The young person was in good health immediately following his delivery but was left profoundly brain damaged - despite being treated at the hospital's special baby care unit - after the episode.
Defence counsel Mr Philip Havers QC expressed "sincere apologies for the admitted negligence" on behalf of the NHS Trust, which said it was relieved that a compromise had been reached, despite adding "no amount of money can turn back the clock".
Mr Havers said it is hoped the compensation might provide some recompense for the family.
Contact our clinical negligence solicitors on 0800 916 9049 or email email@example.com if you would like advice on any medical negligence matter.
Posted by Francesca Witney
Related Industry NewsRSS feed
Monday 20th March 2017
Friday 17th February 2017
Thursday 27th October 2016