An industrial disease claim has resulted in a chef being awarded a substantial sum in personal injury compensation.
According to the Salisbury Journal, Luigi Pes was diagnosed with a terminal case of asbestos-related disease mesothelioma - which affects the respiratory system - in February 2008 after a long career working in the kitchen at the former La Gondola restaurant in Salisbury.
It was found that Mr Pes had been exposed to the potentially lethal substance throughout the 1980s as it was present in both a storeroom at the establishment and in the seals of its pizza oven.
The 60-year-old took legal action against his former employer on the grounds of the firm's negligence, as he claimed to have never been informed of the dangers of asbestos.
Subsequently, he has settled for a six-figure sum of damages, the news source added.
"I'm not angry but I do feel strongly that more should have been done to protect me from getting this disease," he stated.
Contact our accident and injury solicitors on 0800 916 9046 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like advice on any personal injury matter
Posted by Richard Saunders