05 October 2010
Two firms fined £350k for fatal workplace accident
British companies Walkers Snack Foods and Omnichem have been fined a combined £350,000 for their liability in an accident at work which left an employee dead.
An investigation conducted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that John Marriott - who was working for Omnichem, a chemical distribution company with depots in Leicester and Dewsbury - became seriously ill after breathing in green chloride dioxide fumes in July 2006.
Mr Marriott was driving a commercial vehicle containing two different types of chemicals which were to be delivered to Walkers' site in Leicester.
However, when he arrived at the food company's plant, he accidently mixed the two substances, which created a cloud of gas he then inhaled. Mr Marriott passed away from the poisoning caused by this incident around a month later.
Sue Thompson, HSE inspector, commented: "Basic risk assessments and clear procedures could have avoided Mr Marriott's tragic death but as it was there were a catalogue of serious failings."
Contact our accident and injury solicitors on 0800 916 9046 or email email@example.com if you would like advice on any personal injury matter
Posted by Cheryl Bennett
Related Industry NewsRSS feed
Thursday 08th May 2014
Tuesday 15th April 2014