03 March 2010
Man sues after alleged medical error
A man who claims he was the victim of a medical mistake is seeking compensation.
Two years ago, Terry Clayton was on holiday with his wife, Arlene, in Lanzarote when he was struck down by pneumonia, the Evening Chronicle reports.
He returned to the UK and was admitted to the University Hospital of North Durham - which serves a population of more than 250,000.
The diabetic, who underwent a kidney transplant a decade ago, was discharged to his home two days later and was prescribed a week's medication.
However, within hours he began suffering pain and was unable to get out of bed. He had to be readmitted to hospital and was subsequently transferred to Newcastle General Hospital.
Mr Clayton said: "I was told I had been given an antibiotic that was unsuitable for me as a person with kidney disease."
He added that he was left "virtually paralysed" and thought he was going to die.
The 58-year-old is now only able to manage a few steps at a time and is housebound.
A County Durham & Darlington NHS Foundation Trust spokesperson said the organisation could not comment at this time.
Related Industry NewsRSS feed
Monday 20th March 2017
Friday 17th February 2017
Thursday 27th October 2016