10 February 2010
Woman seeks compensation over death of husband
The widow of a man who died as a result of being exposed to asbestos at work is seeking compensation.
Kenneth Giles died in October 2008 from mesothelioma and his legal team believe he may have been exposed to asbestos dust and fibres while working for the Bath Box Company, the Bath Chronicle reports.
He was employed at the organisation between 1942 and 1960 and then again for a two-year stint between 1976 and 1978.
His wife, Janet Giles, is trying to track down his former workmates in a bid to strengthen her case.
The solicitor involved said it is vital that anyone with information comes forward to assist Mr Giles' claim.
Asbestos is associated with a range of medical conditions, including asbestosis and pleural plaques.
According to the Health and Safety Executive, working on or near damaged asbestos-containing materials or breathing in high levels of fibres increases people's risk of contracting such diseases.
Simon Allen, personal injury partner at Russell, Jones & Walker, commented: "Sadly all too often a mesothelioma sufferer dies before he can provide a statement of his exposure to asbestos fibres.
"The need for proof of exposure, particularly with a smaller employer who does not have a well recorded history of asbestos exposure detailed through other claims, is crucial."
Related Industry NewsRSS feed
Thursday 08th May 2014
Tuesday 15th April 2014