22 June 2009
Tourists secure compensation of £2.5m over holiday sickness
A group of more than 500 tourists have proved successful in their bid to secure payouts after coming down with illnesses while abroad.
They won compensation totalling more than £2.5 million after suffering sickness caused by a well-known virus.
The individuals stayed at the Beach Club Hotel in Torremolinos, Spain between 2000 and 2002.
They contracted Norovirus, which causes symptoms such as gastric illness, vomiting and diarrhoea.
It can be spread via contact with an infected people, as well as surfaces or objects contaminated with the virus.
Norovirus can also be contracted by consuming contaminated food or drink.
Some of the holidaymakers suffered long-term ill-health as a result of their sicknesses. For example, a number of them developed irritable bowel syndrome.
The settlement was paid by Thomson Holiday and JMC, as well the owners of the hotel involved.
It was approved during a recent high court hearing in Birmingham.