05 December 2008
Firms pays compensation after asbestos exposure death
A company has agreed to a payout of £250,000 after a woman died as a result of exposure to asbestos.
Patricia Eccles died in 2004 from the cancer mesothelioma, which she contracted after washing her husband's clothes that contained the dust of the insulating material, Stoke and Staffordshire paper the Sentinel reports.
Former pipe-fitter Alfred Eccles had come into contact with asbestos - which can cause a range of diseases, including asbestosis and pleural plaques - while working for Universal Grinding Wheel Company.
In a new development, the firm came to an agreement with him in an out-of-court settlement.
The money will be placed in a trust fund for his daughter Joanna, who suffers from severe cerebral palsy.
Mr Eccles stated: "I'm angry with the company and myself, and feel guilty because Patricia caught the disease from my clothes."
He added that, while the money will not bring his late wife back, it will at least help to pay for the care of his daughter.
Alison Kerr, personal injury partner at Russell Jones & Walker, commented: "Patricia Eccles is one of an increasing number of wives who develop mesothelioma as a result of being exposed to asbestos brought home on their husbands clothes."
Related Industry NewsRSS feed
Thursday 08th May 2014
Tuesday 15th April 2014