24 September 2008
Compensation won in asbestos-related cancer case
Compensation has been won by the family of a man who died from the asbestos-related cancer mesothelioma.
Robert Earl was diagnosed with the disease - symptoms of which can include pain in the side of the chest and lower back, shortness of breath and weight loss - early last year. He died ten months later, the News & Star reports.
His family allege that he was exposed to asbestos while working as a mechanic's labourer for between six and eight months in 1969 for a company called County Garage.
In a new development, the garage has agreed to pay out an undisclosed sum in an out-of-court settlement, although it made no admission of liability.
Commenting on the case, Mr Earl's son, Anthony, said: "The last few years have been very difficult for my family.
"No amount of compensation can replace what we have lost, but we hope we can now move forward."