07 July 2008
Garage issued fine after worker suffers fatal burns
A garage has been prosecuted following an incident in which an employee lost his life as a result of being burned.
The accident occurred in December 2005 when mechanic Biagio Malacaria was working on a vehicle's fuel system, a process which involved draining petrol from the fuel tank.
As he was doing so, his clothing set alight and he was engulfed in flames.
Two colleagues managed to extinguish the blaze, with one of them suffering injury in the process.
It was too late for Mr Malacaria, however, who died in hospital the next month from pneumonia as a result of his burns.
During a recent hearing, Alexanders of Twickenham - which is based on Kneller Road in Whitton - was ordered to pay £20,000 plus costs of £16,905 after being found guilty of breaching Section 2(1) of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974.