Back to Legal Industry News

Fine issued after worker is exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning

Fine issued after worker is exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning
A fine has been issued to a landlord after a young child who resided in one of his properties was exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

The 18-month-old infant began exhibiting sickness symptoms in July 2006 as a result of his exposure to the fumes.

Peter Ingram was ordered to pay a total of £2,000 plus costs of £1,777 during a recent hearing at Stratford-upon-Avon magistrates' court.

An engineer who investigated Mr Ingram's property had discovered that a flue of the central heating boiler in the house was incorrectly fitted and therefore likely to cause the generation of carbon monoxide.

"This case should serve as a reminder to home owners and tenants that any work undertaken on a gas-fired appliance should only be carried out by a suitable and qualified specialist in that field," stated Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Neil Craig.

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels.