Back to Legal Industry News

Employer prosecuted after worker loses finger

Employer prosecuted after worker loses finger
An employer has been prosecuted following an incident in which one of its workers sustained an injury which resulted in the amputation of her finger.

Swineshead-based egg-producing firm C&P Bird Bros was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay full costs during a hearing at Bedford & Mid Bedfordshire magistrates' court after pleading guilty to breaching work equipment regulations.

The accident occurred in August 2005 when employee Diane Davies was trying to fix a scraper cleaning system that had become jammed.

During her attempts, her finger became trapped in between two components of the machine and the injuries she sustained caused her to lose her finger.

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation conducted after the event revealed that the device's guard had been removed for a previous repair and had not been refitted.

Commenting on the case, HSE inspector Penny Leede said: "This serious incident could and should have been prevented by the company by ensuring that dangerous parts were adequately guarded."