Back to Legal Industry News

Police cleared of choking blame

Police cleared of choking blame
Two police officers have been cleared of blame over an incident which saw a man choke on a glove while in custody.

A sheriff at Hamilton Sheriff Court ruled that no further action regarding the incident was required, the Daily Record reports.

Derek McGeechan, a 42-year-old window cleaner from Craigneuk in Lanarkshire, died from swallowing a latex glove after the officers who arrested him took him outside for a cigarette.

Mr McGeechan died in Hairmyres Hospital in East Kilbride two days after his admittance.

Constables David Cairns and Nikki Kennedy told the fatal injury inquiry that they had not seen the glove in his possession.

Sheriff Daniel Scullion said that, while the event was a "tragedy", no one was to blame, adding that he was "satisfied that there are no reasonable precautions which could or should have been taken".

There were 14 deaths of people in police custody recorded in London in 2006-07, according to the Metropolitan Police Authority.