Back to Blog

0 stars Article rating

Top Tips for Football Fans Headed to the Euros

Heading to France to watch England win the Euros? To make sure your trip is all about fun and football, here are some things to bear in mind before you go.

Travel Insurance

You might think that travel insurance isn’t essential if you’re only in France for a few days (or maybe only as long as England last in the Euros), but travel insurance can protect you from medical costs that you didn’t expect.

For more information on the surprising costs of an accident abroad, see: New Study Reveals the Cost of an Accident Abroad


An EHIC card should be at the top of your list of essentials when preparing for your holiday or travels abroad. An EHIC card is not a replacement for travel insurance. It grants medical care relative to the same received by locals depending where you are in the EU. According to research, three in five holidaymakers and travellers own an EHIC card, but 27 per cent do not understand where it can be used or what it does, with 57 per cent of people saying their confusion over how the card worked ultimately cost them money.

For more information on EHIC cards, see: Understanding How Your EHIC Card Works in a Holiday Accident

Look up the Local Laws

Other than driving on the other side of the road, there may be other French laws that you’re unaware of – as well as the laws of any other countries you might be passing through. For example, did you know that you should keep a breathalyser in your car at all times in France?


While you’re online, why not take a moment to look up any local laws and French customs so that you know what’s what when you get there.

If you’re planning on driving in France, take a quick look at our guide: Driving in Europe? What do You Need to Know?

Carry a ‘Constat’ Form

It is a good idea to print out and take a constat amiable form, which can be filled out by both parties in the event of a road traffic accident.

Avoid Unnecessary Risks

The travel law team at Slater and Gordon recently commissioned research that revealed a shocking number of Brits say they are more likely to take risks on holiday. One in 10 confessed they had got into a fight on holiday as a result of excessive drinking. Almost 20 per cent said they would be more likely to drink heavily or act recklessly at a sporting event like the Euros.

Who to Contact in an Emergency

When travelling overseas it can be disarming to find yourself in an emergency situation without the systems in place that we’re used to in England and Wales. You’re in a different country, a different culture, those around don’t speak the same language; it’s a good idea to make a note of contact details for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).

If you have been involved in an emergency abroad, the FCO provide information to next of kin and assistance in providing vital assistance such as contact with translators and how to transfer monetary funds. Although the FCO provide information they cannot cover costs as this is the responsibility of your travel insurance company.

There are British foreign embassies situated across the world and their duty is to represent the interests and help aid citizens of their country.

You can call the Consular Assistance team on:

020 7008 1500 (from UK)

+44 20 7008 1500 (from overseas)

Can You Claim For an Accident Overseas Once You’re Back Home in the UK?

If you’ve been injured in a road traffic accident whilst in Europe, you may assume you cannot bring a claim for damages in England or Wales once you return home, but that may not be the case.

Whether as a driver, passenger or pedestrian, you can normally pursue a claim in your home court. European regulations and rulings mean that you can sue a European insurer in English or Welsh courts. This means you benefit from the English rules of procedure and have more understanding of the process and timescales involved in bringing a case.

For more on this, see: Did You Know You Can Claim For Overseas Road Traffic Accidents in England?

Nicola Rostron is a travel litigation lawyer at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in Manchester.

If you suffer an illness or accident whilst overseas, our no win, no fee solicitors can help you with your claim for compensation.

Call us on Freephone 0800 916 9046 or contact us online.

From outside the UK please call +44 20 7657 1555.

Take a second to rate this article

Rate an article

Thank you!